- Check out the photos from the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii’s 2013 Exhibition! You can also nivigate to this photo essay via the Gallery tab above.
- December meeting has been moved to SUNDAY the 15th! From our fearless leader Chris...
Aloha BIUG members. Sonia Edmunds and her family will once again host our annual guild holiday gathering in Kailua-Kona. The meeting will begin at 11 am on Sunday, December 15.
Alan Hale will begin our meeting with a kanikapila - so bring your ukuleles. Lunch and the general meeting will follow.
Please read Bob’s 2013 guild show follow-up on the Forum page of our website so you can provide us with some feedback at the meeting about the future of the annual show. Bob has offered some interesting suggestions.
The general meeting will also include election of officers for 2014, so give some thought to stepping up and guiding the guild during the next year.
Back by popular command, Dann ‘Professor Jigs’ Roark will then demonstrate some of his latest shop creations – always a crowd pleaser.
As usual, bring a chair and a pupu to share. Soft drinks will be provided. You’ll have to BYOB. Bring anything you want to sell, trade or give away. As always, bring your projects – both finished or in the works, jigs, templates, ideas, solutions to problems and your enthusiasm.
Look to the November 5th email from me [Chris] for Sonya’s address.
Latest on the BIUG Website
- Chris sent over this interesting video on a folding ukulele. Slick!
- How about a professional-level folding instrument? Chris found the “Voyage-Air Guitar”.
- Da Cutting Edge sent over a new brochure. They are able to sharpen Forrest, Freud and many other high-end blades. Opened a new website too. Go local!
- The Royals playing Ukulele in a new way! You need to check out this video.
- And if you like that one…how about this video of the 5 people who make up the Royals playing “Someone that I used to know - Walk off the Earth” on a single guitar!
- The October/November issue of Hana Hou, the Hawaiian Airlines inflight magazine, has a lead article about emerging ukulele stars Brittni Paiva and Taimane Gardner. Unfortunately, I don't think it can be read online, but anyone traveling this month via the airlines may want to grab a copy. http://www.hanahou.com
- Congratulations to Crist Pung and Woodley White for winning the People’s Choice Award and Artist’s Choice Award respectively. Please find all BIUG 2103 Show photos in the Gallery.
We had another successful Big Island Ukulele Guild meeting this past weekend in Kona, dispite a last-minute location change. A big thanks to Sam Rosen for letting us mess up his carport.
BIUG Secretary/Treasurer Bob Gleason announced his plans to retire from guild officer duties, so we’ll be looking for someone to fill his slippers by the end of the year. After that shocking news, Bob demonstrated a brace-carving jig that he first saw at the Martin Guitar Company. Members then constructed their own jigs during the meeting... …click to read more!