It’s MEMBERSHIP TIME! Please visit our Membership Page to join and be part of the BIUG for 2015. Only $30!
Latest & Greatest BIUG News
- 1-27-15 Chris found an excellent article on the history of the ukulele. Very interesting read.
St. Michael the Archangel Church
Aloha BIUG members. Ukulele builder Cal Haena passes along this information, in case a member of the Guild – or anyone you know with a spare uke - would like to donate an ukulele for the building fund to help with reconstruction of St. Michael the Archangel Church in Kona. Mahalo! Chris
St. Michael’s Golf Tournament
The 6th annual St. Michael’s Golf Tournament will be held Jan. 31 at Makalei Golf Club, starting at 8 a.m.
The tournament entry fee of $125 per player includes a round of golf and buffet lunch. Lunch will be held at Peacock Grille. Proceeds from the tournament will go towards the St. Michael’s Building Fund.
To volunteer, donate prizes, or play in the tournament, contact Peter Callahan at 769-4580 or Judy Alderson at 937-9233
UKULELE CLASS STARTING SOON
Kona Community School for Adults is again offering its popular ukulele construction class taught by Guy Sasaki at Kealakehe High School. Sasaki has decades of experience as a woodshop instructor and builder of ukuleles.
The class begins Tuesday, January 27 and continues each Tuesday until May 12. Class fee is $120, plus supplies.
Registration is from January 12-23 at Kona Community School for Adults on the campus of Kealakehe Intermediate School. For more information, contact Kona Community School for Adults at 313-3032.
Events and Website Updates
- 1-27-15 Chris found an excellent article on the history of the ukulele. Very interesting read
- 12-16-14 Please check out the photos from the Waimea show!
- 10-30-14 Notes from Wailoa 2014
- 9-30-14 A nice little read about one person’s efforts to create an Ukulele Museum in Arizona…From Chris
- 9-11-14 Very inspirational message from Kimo Hussey about Patience
- 8-29-14 Tom Parse recently sent me a video of his recently created kerning jig. He created it using parts from around the shop. Nice! Maybe this could be a workshop item?
Check out the video of the jig in action.
- 5-24-14 Tom Parse has made a selection of finely crafted ukuleles available for sale. Please check them out!
- 4-26-14 Our first builders’ workshop on Saturday was a success as seven members enjoyed a convivial atmosphere in Tom Russell’s Kona side shop while building mini-thickness sanders. An afternoon of cutting plywood, some machine work and final assembly produced a very useful attachment to our bench sanders - perfect for thinning smaller work pieces.
- 4-18-14 Nice video on the making of a soprano ukulele by Peter Hurney is now available on our Luthier’s Page.
- 3-14-14 A new internet service enables time-syncronized jamming over the net! Check it out: JamKazam
- 2-12-14 Another interesting video, this one on bracing. Are your chisels this sharp?